Thursday, February 26, 2015

Analysis of "Why ‘Drill, baby, Drill’ was right”

So the piece of political communication I will be writing about will be Sarah Palin’s blog post “Why ‘Drill, baby, Drill’ was right” in which she both proves a point in how she was right with the idea to “drill our way into lower gas prices” and also how Obama is now boasting about it even though one of his platforms was against drilling in 2008.
            The first thing that you would notice in this is the fact that it is definitely written by Palin. There is a tone that you can almost hear Palin (or Tina Fey if that’s the train of thought you subscribe to) speaking the words. Another reason I believe that it was written by Palin is there are times when there are errors. These errors are not in the writing but in the way that it is formatted. In the second paragraph there is a return in between “the Eagle Ford Shale in South Texas” and “produced its billionth barrel of oil.” While these are very small errors they are something that I notice and distract me quite a bit. However this might just be the journalist in me. 

            In this Blog she then goes onto site the state of the union by Obama this year where she praised the people who have made us “free from the grip of foreign oil as we’ve been in almost 30 years.” But she brings up that in Miami three years ago he said, “We can’t just drill our way to lower gas prices.” So this gives her a feel of being on the attacking side. This is just the start of the blog though.
            She then goes on, as any proud Alaskan would, to say how the Alaskans have been saying that drilling for our natural gasses is the only thing to lower gasoline prices and they have been dealing with the frustrations. She believes the biggest frustrations for the Alaskans are dealing with people in DC and trying not to “Piss away” another oil boom if it is to happen. She does sound very natural but at the same time I feel to an older conservative this would come across as a negative, but personally I think as a younger person that this style is something I like.
            She also describes the energy sector as “the star athlete” and those in DC “scrambling on the sidelines, unaware of how to react” which can really come across as demeaning and almost insulting.

            I think if she were to make a presidential run she would need to keep the same if not just similar message but learn how to express these points in a more professional and respectful way. While she does make a good point about how her policy for the energy sector and the oil industry was right it just came off a bit un-nerving to me.

3 comments:

  1. Do you think that Palin wrote the speech so that her readers would get the full affect of her as they read it? What are the benefits to this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You said you think she should keep that same tone and language format if she were to run for President in 2016. I have to disagree. I think a lot of people view her as a joke now days. The only way I would seriously listen to her is if she cleaned up those colloquialisms and dropped the schmallzy talk. If she came out speaking about the issues plainly and her plans on fixing things, I would be more inclined to take her seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you think she ratcheted up the rhetoric to get a response from her base, or does she believe in this program that strongly? This is something I have frequently wondered about our girl Sarah.

    ReplyDelete