Thursday, February 12, 2015

Sarah Palins Images and Issues

Candidate image is a very interesting topic especially surrounding Sarah Palin. In the majority of comments I received on my last post people talked to her being an “interes  People also assume that ever since she has come out with her own channel in July of 2014 that she will not take another stab at the campaign trial. She has become more of talk show host and has included he fact that she wants “you to talk directly to me” making her more accessible than some of the other candidates. But all of this goes into her image. She will find a way to spin this into a good thing if she decides to run or even if she is a running mate to another candidate.
ting character” or her being “interesting and intriguing to people.” I would say this is definitely a part of her candidate image. Unfortunately for her a lot of people now do not take her seriously as she has been out of politics for quite awhile.
            I feel Palin’s strengths would have to be her ability to be recognized and her “friendly tone.” Politico reported that this website allows her supporters and subscribers another way to discuss the issues facing the U.S. and like I said in the last paragraph, for her to do well she needs to turn this into a true strength like it can be. A weakness would be the loss of followers because of the statements that she has made in the past. Such as the IowaFreedom Summit, where the “critiques have been devastating” according to the Washington Post. Something that will be an opportunity for her is the fact she is a woman and a lot of people that are presumed to be running are male. Also a threat for her would be that the media is very strict on her you could say. Websites such as the HuffingtonPost runs a Sarah Palin Criticism and even a Valentine’s Day edition.  So this is a general SWOT analysis for Palin’s campaign.
            I think that the biggest issue that Palin will highlight is energy independence. She states on her “About” tab on SarahPAC.com that she believes it is “the cornerstone of the economic security and progress that every American family wants and deserves.” She also goes on to highlight her stance on foreign policy and health care education and government reform stating that they are “Among our key goals.” So as far as I am concerned, as my political knowledge is very small still, I believe that these are the platforms that she is running on and that she will highlight. It reads as if she believes the majority of things that the Republican part believes and will lean towards their beliefs the majority of the time.

So this is an overview of Palins public image, a quick SWOT analysis of her candidacy, and some of her platforms. Thanks for reading.

4 comments:

  1. Are there still people in America that take Sarah Palin seriously as a politician? Even taking in the fact that she hasn't been involved in politics in awhile, it seems like a lot of what she does now is a joke. She's been the butt of the joke for too long now. She's barely taken seriously by Americans I can't imagine her being involved in any kind of foreign affairs and being taken seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think her charm is a very good tool. She reaches many people that often are not considered when it comes to targeting voters. She has a pretty face and that helps too. Like Cassi said though, she has become the butt of too many jokes and I feel that might ultimately be her demise in another large campaign.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Her charm is definitely a major strength for her. I agree with Benjamin Allen in that she is able to reach some voters that may be too turned off or intimidated by other, well more legitimate candidates (but that's another can of worms). The problem I have with Sarah Palin is definitely her image. Is she able to relate to problems outside of what she has experienced in Alaska? She is heavy on energy policy and that is something that is a huge topic in Alaska. I would like to see her understanding that the whole United States isn't necessarily like Alaska, obviously.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You mention how being a woman could be a positive opportunity if she were to run because it is presumed that the majority of the competition will be male. Do you think that it could also be a negative for her? Unfortunately in our society women are still not viewed as equal and some feel that a woman would not be capable of handling a role as difficult as president.

    ReplyDelete